Wednesday 23 May 2012

Student earns international research role to explore performance and disability

An Edge Hill University drama student has been selected to join a international research panel for her innovative work on performance and disability.
Kara Spencer, a wheelchair user due to the condition Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, ME, is part of the International Federation for Theatre Research which promotes the exchange of information between individuals and organisations concerned with theatre research.
The 21-year-old from Derbyshire, who is in her third year on the BA (Hons) Drama degree programme, was chosen after her investigations to ensure people with disabilities could enjoy the same type of theatre experiences as mainstream audiences. 
Kara Spencer said: “I’m very passionate about this area of work. I am a performer myself and I’ve been looking at ways to ensure that people of all abilities can enjoy a full interactive theatre experience without detracting from the artistic values for my current production. 
“For people with hearing problems, I would have subtitles right underneath the stage. My other idea is to develop the audio description concept further by introducing a poetic element so that those with visual impairments can still feel the emotions, rather than just listen to the words.
“My boyfriend is blind and when we go to the cinema I describe to him what is on the screen, but I do it in such a dramatic way that he can understand the feelings and hopefully visualise the scenes.”
Kara’s research and ideas impressed members on the group so much that she has also been invited to attend their annual conference Mediating Performance in Santiago, Chile, in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment